Monday, April 14, 2014

Daily Life in Siena!

Where did the time go!? In one month from today I will be done with school in Siena and be finishing up my finals! The time went by so fast here! So, I thought I would write a short post about my daily life here with some pictures from the past few months. Every morning for breakfast from January-March I was given cocopuffs and some cookies, a croissant or type of cake. Italians basically eat sweets for breakfast and it was pretty funny in the beginning but I just couldn’t keep eating cake and cookies for breakfast! So one morning a few weeks ago they left out some granola with some dried fruit in it and I made sure to tell my host parents that I liked it and ever since then I have been given that for breakfast! I also take a piece of fruit because all of the produce is so fresh here! I walk about 40 minutes to get to school, (power walking) and make the transition from countryside to city. I have two hours of Italian three times a week, three hours of curatorial studies a week and three hours of my history and theory of museums class a week. For my museum studies classes we often go on field trips to museums around Siena or in close areas of Tuscany. It has been so interesting visiting so many different kinds of museums, museums I probably wouldn’t go to on my own. We have been to the science and natural history museum, the duomo museum and the painting gallery here in Siena. We have also been to a Renaissance painting gallery, a sharecropper museum and a palace outside of Siena in nearby Tuscan towns. I also have eight hours a week of my art restoration internship where we are often taken to the beautiful region of Chianti to restore a villa our teacher is working on. I am very busy but am definitely getting my exercise by walking everywhere! I usually buy groceries to make lunches or I will buy a hunk of bread and cheese to eat for lunch because it is the cheapest thing! After school every day, homework and hanging out with friends, I head home for dinner and we eat at 8:30pm…something that I am not used to! The television is always on during dinner because from 8-9 we watch the news then from 9-9:30 my family watches a game show. We watch the game show every night and I still cannot figure out what is going on or how it is structured. Dinners were very hard at first because my family doesn’t speak any English, however, they have gotten significantly better. My Italian is improving and I am able to speak with my family all of dinner. However, taking Italian for two hours that morning, doing your Italian homework then coming home and speaking Italian is very tiring and at times extremely frustrating, but some dinners are definitely better than others. Some nights I feel so confident and know what is going on in the conversation and am able to contribute a lot, but then there are always frustrating nights where you feel left out and clueless. Fortunately, my host mom, Tiziana, always winks at me during dinner to let me know someone made a joke or someone was kidding, so that helps me feel more included. After I excuse myself from watching the game show, I take a cold bath. I sit in a bath tub with no shower curtain, spray water on myself, turn it off, wash my face, turn the water back on, get the soap off, then repeat…It is so difficult taking cold baths, but my family recently purchased a new shower head and it is much duller than the previous one. Before, since there is no curtain, I would get water all over the floor from trying to wash my long hair. Now, with the new shower head, no water gets on the floor! Taking the baths now doesn’t seem as hard because I don’t have to mop up afterwards. Days are pretty long here, with school, homework, visiting with my host family and seeing my friends, I am so exhausted by nighttime! But it is going by so fast so it is good I am busy! As for my host family, they are great and I am so happy at my house! I recently found out that the 17 contradas of Siena extend outside of the city walls so my family is in the bruco contrada, which is the caterpillar! It is fun to know we are in a contrada because now I feel Sienese! Some of the other contradas are the eagle, wolf and the panther…and we are proud caterpillars! The bruco contrada has actually won about 35 times for the palio, one of the contradas with the most wins! As for my family, my host dad, Marco, is the sweetest human being and he constantly asks how I am and if I need anything. He likes to talk and he asks me every night at dinner what I ate for lunch. It’s usually the same answer, “Pane e formaggio.” (Bread and cheese.) Marco is semi-retired and sometimes I find him just strolling through the house, looking at things, moving things an inch or two, but always with a smile on his face. He usually stands by the window to see what’s happening in the neighborhood and normally beats me to the door and will open it for me if he sees me coming. My host mom Tiziana is also so nice! She gets so excited when I come home and likes to see what I am wearing. She also constantly asks how I am and wonders what I am doing. She has started giving me hugs and kisses when I leave and come back from a trip and it makes me feel so loved! She has two sons so I am sure she likes having a girl in the house. Tiziana is also an amazing cook and we eat very well here! She attends gymnastics class three times a week and is one fit woman! My host brother Matteo doesn’t come home from Milan much anymore because I think his girlfriend Luisa moved in with him. Matteo is 30 and does something with computers…I think. Niccolo is 23 and he still lives at home. He goes to school and also works. Niccolo is so kind and lively! He is always singing and listens to loud music while he is taking a bath. He recently broke up with his 17 year old girlfriend, Simona. I miss Simona, she was nice. Niccolo is a great cook too! Today we were both home unusually early and he made us pasta with fresh tomato sauce for lunch. He then made hot dogs after we finished our pasta but I told him what I say a lot in this house, “Sono piena.” (I am full.) So life is good here in Siena! I am travelling lots and am fortunate enough to see so many amazing things! My only problems are taking cold baths and constantly being full, so I’d say I am a happy camper!  

Ciao!

-Rachel 



Foggy walk to school.

Foggy walk to school.

Rose that bloomed on Valentine's Day.

My street

My street

My street

Siena
Siena

Siena

Siena

Siena

Siena

Siena
Nutellino

My street

Host cousins Giulia and Alice and my host brother, Niccolo.

My street

My room

Where the cold baths take place.

House

Kitchen

Kitchen, where we eat dinner every night.
House

House

View from my house.

House

House

My favorite candy here: Kinder bars and my favorite cheese here: Pecorino fresco

Underground pond.
Duomo in Siena.

Siena

Siena

Siena
My art restoration internship workshop!

Copper guilded door we are working on for art restoration.

Copper guilded door we are working on for art restoration.

Amazing care package from home!

Pizza with my Italian language partner, Tina.
My host family, the Zampis! (Tiziana, Niccolo, Marco)

My host brother Niccolo and I.

Siena

San Domenico Church in Siena.

No comments:

Post a Comment